What is a Chakra?
You've probably heard the term “Chakra” before. It's one of those terms that gets associated with “alternative” medicine- sort of shorthand for “Miscellaneous New Age-y talk.”
But do you know what a Chakra is? Or what it does?
Imagine there is a current of energy that comes down your body, running from the the top of the head (Crown) all the way down to the base of your spine (the pelvic floor).
Now, this current also flows outward from the spine in seven places. These are your Chakras.
What Are the Seven Chakras?
We all have Seven major Chakras. They are:
1. The Crown Chakra: which is located right on the top of the skull. It corresponds to the pineal and pituitary glands.
2. The Third Eye Chakra- The most “famous” chakra, the third eye, is rooted in the very center of the skull, and comes out right between the eyes and out the base of the skull at the occipitals. It corresponds with the pineal gland.
3. The Throat Chakra- is rooted between at C4 -C2 of your vertebrae, right in the center of the throat. It radiates out both in the front and the back, and regulates the Thyroid gland.
4. The Heart Chakra is rooted around your T-4 -T-6 vertebrae- roughly where the sternum is- it radiates out into your aura both front and back and corresponds to the Thymus gland.
5. The Solar Plexus Chakra- is located about two inches above your navel and roots into your T10-12 vertebrae. It corresponds to the pancreas and adrenal glands.
6. The Sacral Chakra- is located two inches below your navel and rooted between L3 and your and L1 vertebrae. It corresponds to the reproductive organs.
7. Your Root Chakra- is located at your pelvic floor, the perineum, between the genitals and the anus at the base of your spine and radiating downwards. It is connected to to your colon and reproductive organs.
Of course, depending on which school or set of teachings you adhere to. But this is a good starter guide for the uninitiated, since we will be talking about chakras on this blog in the future- knowing the basics can help you unlock secrets to alleviating stress, back pain, depression, and more!